Name: Surfing Gizzy West Coast IPA
Style: American IPA (21A)
Type: All Grain
Boil Size: 7.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 4.3969536
Estimated IBU: 113.9 IBUs (Tinseth)
Estima.ed ABV: 7.2 %
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0%
Boil Time: 60 minutes
|10 lbs||Pelton Pilsner-style Malt||Grain||71.4%|
|4 lbs||Lamonta : Pale American Barley Malt (Mecca Grade)||Grain||28.6%|
|0.50 oz||Enigma [16.5%] - Boil 30.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.50 oz||Enigma [16.5%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Citra [12.0%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25%] - Steep/Whirlpool. 20.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Steep/Whirlpool. 20.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.50 oz||Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Mosaic [11.7%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1 pkg||Flagship (Imperial#A07)||Yeast||-|
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
|Name||Description||Step Temperature||Step Time|
|Mash In||Add 4.38 gal of water at 159.1 F||148.0 F||75.0 mins|
- Milled grain on the low side of recommendation @30, range is 33-45. I forgot to make a note about this and the sign with the range wasn’t on the mill.
- Started brew day around 10am.
- Heated up the initial mash water to ~185F then transferred to the mash tun. Left it in there for about 20 minutes during breakfast.
- After breakfast I stirred in the grain until I hit the target temp of 149F.
- About 15 minutes before the end of the mash I vorlaufed for 15 mins Then mashed out to the 10G kettle.
- Hooked up the sparge component and transferred the 170F water to the mash tun.
- Stirred briefly then began mashing out to the kettle.
- Collected ~7.25G @ a pre-boil gravity of 1.050. It’s slightly under, so I’ll boil for 75 mins to try to make up for the lower gravity.
- Post boil the OG was 1.059
- Collected ~4.5G @ 1.059 into the fermenter.
- Chilled to 69F and pitched the yeast around 4pm.
- Took a hydrometer reading and it’s at 1.009. Seems like it’s finished. Going to give it another day then cold crash and keg it.
- Began cold crashing
- Kegged today. Ended up using ~2.5oz of Nelson in the dry hop because I was at the end of the bag.
- Chilled to ~54F overnight.
- Added dry hops to sanitized keg then racked the beer on top. Got about 4.3G.
- Purged with co2 3 times.
- Added 1 tsp of gelatin to 1/4 cup of cold water. Stirred and heated in 10s increments until the temp was about 145F and it was fully dissolved
- Added to keg then purged with co2 3 times.
- Set to 30PSI to burst carbonate for 24 hours, then will dial down to serving pressure, ~12psi.
Tags: American IPA