Name: Simcoe / Citra West Coast IPA (Kool Aid Kitty)
Style: American IPA (21A)
Type: All Grain
Boil Size: 7.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 4.3969536
Estimated IBU: 94.1 IBUs (Tinseth)
Estima.ed ABV: 7.2 %
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0%
Boil Time: 60 minutes
|10 lbs||Pelton Pilsner-style Malt||Grain||71.4%|
|4 lbs||Lamonta : Pale American Barley Malt (Mecca Grade)||Grain||28.6%|
|0.50 oz||Eukanot [14.0%] - Boil 30.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Citra [12.0%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||Citra [12.0%] - Steep/Whirlpool. 20.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||Simcoe [13.0%] - Steep/Whirlpool. 20.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.5%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1 pkg||Flagship (Imperial#A07)||Yeast||-|
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
|Name||Description||Step Temperature||Step Time|
|Mash In||Add 4.38 gal of water at 159.1 F||148.0 F||75.0 mins|
- Milled grain on the low side of recommendation @33, range is 33-45.
- Started around 10am.
- Heater mash-in water to 190 then pumped to the mash tun before breakfast.
- After breakfast I added the grain and stirred until the temp was ~148F.
- Added my sparge water (just under 5G) to my other kettle and began heating with 20 mins left in the mash.
- Vourlaufed for ~10 mins while the water heated up.
- Mashed out through the pump to the brew kettle. Collected just under 3G.
- Re-arranged the hoses and connected the sparge head to the mash tun.
- Pumped the ~170F water at a slow rate through the sparge head. After all the water was moved I removed the sparge head.
- Re-arranged the hoses again and mashed out through the pump to the brew kettle.
- Collected just under 7.5G@ 1.050.
Since the gravity is slightly under my target and I collected more wort than I needed, I’m going to do a 75 min boil to try to get my original gravity closer to the target.
- Post-boil OG was 1.060.
- Let the wort naturally chill to ~190F (It was snowing so I put the pot outside in the driveway with a lid). The did a 20 min whirlpool with the hops using the pump.
- Collected 5.25G of wort @ 1.060.
- Chilled to 68F then pitched yeast around 6pm.
- Gravity reading was 1.010.
- Began cold crashing.
- Kegging day, hydrometer reading is 1.010
- Beer was chilled to ~56F from the night before.
- Racked on top of dry hops. Got about 4.75G.
- Purged with co2 3 times.
- Added 1 tsp of gelatin to 1/4 cup of cold water. Stirred and heated in 10s increments until the temp was about 145F and it was fully dissolved
- Added to keg then purged with co2 3 times.
- Set to 30PSI to burst carbonate for 24 hours, then will dial down to serving pressure, ~12psi.
Tags: American IPA