Name: Overnight Showers (West Coast Azacca/El Dorado IPA)
Style: American IPA (21A)
Type: All Grain
Boil Size: 7.51 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 4.8324324
Estimated IBU: 88.7 IBUs (Tinseth)
Estima.ed ABV: 7.4 %
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0%
Boil Time: 60 minutes
|6 lbs 5.9 oz||Pale Malt, Maris Otter||Grain||45.0%|
|6 lbs 5.9 oz||Pilsner (2 Row) Ger||Grain||45.0%|
|1 lbs 6.6 oz||Rye, Flaked||Grain||10.0%|
|0.50 oz||Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Azacca - ADHA 483 [15.0%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||El Dorado [14.3%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|0.50 oz||Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||Azacca - ADHA 483 [15.0%] - Steep/Whirlpool. 20.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||El Dorado [14.3%] - Steep/Whirlpool. 20.0 min||Hop||-|
|3.00 oz||Azacca - ADHA 483 [15.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||El Dorado [14.3%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1 pkg||Barbarian (Imperial#A04)||Yeast||-|
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
|Name||Description||Step Temperature||Step Time|
|Mash In||Add 4.92 gal of water at 157.9 F||148.0 F||60.0 mins|
- Brewed at home. Beautiful warm and sunny day.
- Collected ~3G from first runnings, then just under 5 gallons after 1st sparge.
- Ended up with ~7.5G in the fermenter pre-boil.
- The gravity was low, so I boiled for 75 minutes.
- Ended up with ~4.7G in the fermenter at 1.060 which was lower then expected.
- Added the yeast to the beer at ~68F at 3pm.
- Gravity reading was 1.012, it’s done at 6.3% abv.
- Really fruit forward!
- Added 2 oz Azacca and 1 oz Ekuanot (cryo) to keg when racking beer. Let sit in cooler for 20 minutes then added gelatin. Used 1/4 cup cold water and just over 1/2 teaspoon of the gelatin powder. Mixed it up then in 10s increments in the microwave heated up the mixture until the temp was about 145F. Then I added to the keg, sealed and purged 3 imes.
- Kegged in the afternoon. Set pressure to 30PSI around 6pm (for 24 hours) then turned down to normal 11PSI.
Tags: American IPA