A New Zealand Pilsner using 100% Nelson Sauvin hops.
Name: Kiwi Pils V4
Style: New Zealand Pilsner (5X)
Type: All Grain
Boil Size: 7.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 2.4415128
Estimated IBU: 62.4 IBUs (Tinseth)
Estima.ed ABV: 5.2 %
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0%
Boil Time: 60 minutes
|10 lbs||Gold Rush Pilsner Malt||Grain||100.0%|
|0.50 oz||Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Boil 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.50 oz||Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1 pkg||Global (Imperial Yeast#L13)||Yeast||-|
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
|Name||Description||Step Temperature||Step Time|
|Mash In||Add 3.12 gal of water at 159.1 F||148.0 F||75.0 mins|
- Began brew day around 10am. Heated up the mash water (~3.25G) of to ~200F then transferred to the mash tun using the pump.
- Temp became around 175F after transfer. Let sit in the mash tun while I had breakfast.
- Added the grain with the water around 163F and stirred until it got to about 150F then let it in the mash tun for 1 hour.
- Added my sparge water (just over 5G) to my other kettle and began heating with 20 mins left in the mash.
- Vourlaufed for ~10 mins while the water heated up.
- Mashed out through the pump to the brew kettle. Collected just under 3G.
- Re-arranged the hoses and connected the sparge head to the mash tun. I couldn’t get it to pump, so I ended up manually dumping the ~5G into the mash tun.
- Stirred gently.
Re-arranged the hoses again and mashed out through the pump to the brew kettle.
- Collected 7.75G @ 1.036. Going to boil for 15 longer (75) since I have the extra volume to hopefully bring up the OG.
- Added 5.5G to the fermenter at 1.045, slightly low, but not terrible.
- Pitched yeast at ~74F in the fermentation chamber.
- Took FG reading of ~1.010
- Transferred ~4.7G to the keg.
- Purged with co2 3 times.
- I had ran out of gelatin so added the next day.
- Added 1 tsp of gelatin to 1/4 cup of cold water. Stirred and heated in 10s increments until the temp was about 145F and it was fully dissolved
- Added to keg then purged with co2 3 times.
- Set to serving pressure, ~13PSI to carbonate.
Tags: New Zealand Pilsner