Name: Kiwi Pils V3
Style: New Zealand Pilsner (5X)
Type: All Grain
Boil Size: 7.51 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 2.3342284
Estimated IBU: 27.3 IBUs (Tinseth)
Estima.ed ABV: 5.4 %
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0%
Boil Time: 60 minutes
|10 lbs||Gateway : Under-Modified, Wind Malt (Mecca Grade)||Grain||100.0%|
|0.50 oz||Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Boil 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Motueka [7.0%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Motueka [7.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|0.50 oz||Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1 pkg||Global (Imperial Yeast#L13)||Yeast||-|
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
|Name||Description||Step Temperature||Step Time|
|Mash In||Add 3.62 gal of water at 157.5 F||148.0 F||75.0 mins|
- Brewed at home. Pre-heated water to almost 180F according to the kettle, but the digital reader said it was 169F.
- Added grain to water after a 10 minute rest and hit 151F.
- Got 7.5G @ 1.033 (target pre-boil was 1.040) so I did a 75m boil.
- Added 0.5oz Nelson at 60min
- Ended up with 5.25G @ 1.044
- Added yeast at around 68F and turned on the fan at 245pm.
- Fermented warm.
- Took a hydrometer sample and it finished at 1.004 at ~5.5% abv.
- Began cold crashing.
- Pulled fermenter out of the chamber at 59F.
- Added 1 oz Motueka and 0.5 oz Nelson Sauvin into the bottom of a sanatized keg then racked the beer on top using the clear tube connected to the out port since this lager didn’t have many hops.
- Got about 5G.
- Purged with CO2 x3
- Added 1 tsp of gelatin to 1/4 cup of cold water. Stirred and heated in 10s increments until the temp was about 145F.
- Added to keg then pured with co2 3 times.
- Hooked up to CO2 @ 35PSI at 4pm for 24hrs.
Tags: New Zealand Pilsner