Name: Kiwi Pils V1
Style: New Zealand Pilsner (5X)
Type: All Grain
Boil Size: 7.51 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 2.9641341
Estimated IBU: 56.0 IBUs (Tinseth)
Estima.ed ABV: 4.9 %
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0%
Boil Time: 60 minutes
|10 lbs||Pelton Pilsner-style Malt||Grain||100.0%|
|0.50 oz||Enigma [17.7%] - Boil 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.50 oz||Enigma [17.7%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1 pkg||Global (Imperial#L13)||Yeast||-|
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
|Name||Description||Step Temperature||Step Time|
|Mash In||Add 3.62 gal of water at 157.5 F||148.0 F||75.0 mins|
- Brewed at the house.
- Had to swap out hops as Steinbart’s only had 1 New Zealand variety. Subbed AU Enigma for NZ Motueka.
- Modified the 60 min boil addition since Enigma has a higher alpha acid.
- Got 2G from first runnings/mash out
- Collected 4.75G after the first batch sparge.
- Ended up with 7.75G in the kettle @ 1.036 (est 1.038)
- Boiled for 60 minutes and ended up with 6.6G in the fermenter @ 1.045 (est 1.045)
- Was at 69F when put into the fermentation chamber. Waited until it was ~60F to pitch the yeast.
- OG is 1.010 which is 4.6% abv.
- Gravity sample is still very murky with some lager yeast smell still presant.
- Added the 1oz of Nelson Sauvin dry hop directly to the keg and also added a keg screen to this keg. Racked the beer on top of the hops, purgec 3 times with co2, then let it sit in the kegerator (w/o co2) for 1.5 hours. Used 1/4 cup cold water and just over 1/2 teaspoon of the gelatin powder. Mixed it up then in 10s increments in the microwave heated up the mixture until the temp was about 145F. Then I added to the keg, sealed and purged 3 times.
- Am not going to burst carbonate this one since it needs to condition anyways. Will sample in another week or so.
Tags: New Zealand Pilsner