This recipe is a pseudo-clone of Grains of Wrath’s Dystopia IPA. I did not include Mosaic in this recipe, even though the official version includes it. From their website:
Northwest IPA using Simcoe, Citra and Mosaic to bring flavors and aromas of pine and tropical fruit. 6.7% ABV
Name: Hints of Dank (Dystopia Clone)
Style: American IPA (21A)
Type: All Grain
Boil Size: 7.51 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9376561
Estimated IBU: 74.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Estima.ed ABV: 7.0 %
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0%
Boil Time: 60 minutes
|10 lbs||Pelton Pilsner-style Malt||Grain||71.4%|
|4 lbs||2-Row Pale||Grain||28.6%|
|0.50 oz||Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Citra [12.0%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|0.50 oz||Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||Citra [12.0%] - Steep/Whirlpool. 20.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||Simcoe [13.0%] - Steep/Whirlpool. 20.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Chinook [13.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1 pkg||Flagship (Imperial Yeast#A07)||Yeast||-|
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
|Name||Description||Step Temperature||Step Time|
|Mash In||Add 4.88 gal of water at 157.9 F||148.0 F||75.0 mins|
- Ended up with 8G @ 1.044 pre-boil. Target was 1.053, so am going to do a 75 min boil.
- Let it cool naturally till about 200F. Then began stirring to create a whirlpool and added the hops. Manually continued stirring for 6 minutes to try get a good whirlpool and center the trub.
- Let sit for another 10 minutes then begain chilling.
- O.G. is 1.056, had just under 6 gallons post-boil, so lost about 2G to boil off.
- Ended up with 5.25G in the fermenter. Chilled to 68F then pitched yeast.
- Took a hydrometer sample, FG is 1.009.
- Racked on top of dry hops. Got about 5G.
- Purged with co2 3 times.
- Added 1 tsp of gelatin to 1/4 cup of cold water. Stirred and heated in 10s increments until the temp was about 145F.
- Added to keg then purged with co2 3 times.
- Finally set keg in kegerator and hooked it up to CO2 at ~36PSI for 24 hours to burst carbonate.
Tags: American IPA