Name: HBC 586 / Mckenzie West Coast IPA
Style: American IPA (21A)
Type: All Grain
Boil Size: 7.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 3.526037
Estimated IBU: 112.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Estima.ed ABV: 7.3 %
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0%
Boil Time: 60 minutes
|10 lbs||Gold Rush Pilsner Malt||Grain||71.4%|
|4 lbs||Gold Rush 2-Row Pale||Grain||28.6%|
|0.50 oz||Eukanot [14.0%] - Boil 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||McKenzie [10.0%] - Boil 7.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||LUPOMAX® HBC 586 [13.0%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||McKenzie [10.0%] - Steep/Whirlpool. 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||LUPOMAX® HBC 586 [13.0%] - Steep/Whirlpool. 20.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||McKenzie [10.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||LUPOMAX® HBC 586 [13.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1 pkg||House (Imperial Yeast#A01)||Yeast||-|
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
|Name||Description||Step Temperature||Step Time|
|Mash In||Add 4.38 gal of water at 159.1 F||148.0 F||75.0 mins|
- Milled grain on the low side of recommendation @33, range is 33-45.
- Started around 8am.
- Heater mash-in water to 200F then pumped to the mash tun before breakfast.
- After breakfast I added the grain and stirred until the temp was ~148F. Next time perhaps only pre-heat water to 190F as it took some time to get the temp down. Also adding cold water was much more effective than just stirring.
- Added my sparge water (just under 5G) to my other kettle and began heating with 20 mins left in the mash.
- Vourlaufed for ~10 mins while the water heated up.
- Mashed out through the pump to the brew kettle. Collected just under 3G.
- Re-arranged the hoses and connected the sparge head to the mash tun.
- Pumped the ~175F water at a slow rate through the sparge head. After all the water was moved I removed the sparge head.
- Re-arranged the hoses again and mashed out through the pump to the brew kettle.
Collected just under 6.5G @ 1.058.
- Collected ~4.2G @ 1.060 post-boil.
- Chilled to ~70F and pitched the yeast in the evening.
- Took gravity reading was, 1.009. Going to let it sit for another 24hrs then cold crash it overnight and keg it on 10/9/22.
- Cold crashed.
- Kegged at ~60F.
Racked on top of dry hops.
- Got ~3.75G in the keg.
- Added 1 tsp of gelatin to 1/4 cup of cold water. Stirred and heated in 10s increments until the temp was about 145F and it was fully dissolved
- Added to keg then purged with co2 3 times.
- Set to 20PSI to burst carbonate for 24-48 hrs before setting back to serving pressure of ~13PSI.
Tags: American IPA