A “modern” German-style Pilsner. Brewed with 100% new-school German Hallertau Blanc hops.
Name: German Pils w/ Hallertau Blanc (Gizmodo Pils)
Style: German Pils (5D)
Type: All Grain
Boil Size: 7.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 2.4415128
Estimated IBU: 54.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Estima.ed ABV: 5.2 %
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0%
Boil Time: 60 minutes
|10 lbs||Gold Rush Pilsner Malt||Grain||100.0%|
|0.50 oz||Hallertau Blanc [10.5%] - Boil 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||Hallertau Blanc [10.5%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.50 oz||Hallertau Blanc [10.5%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1 pkg||Global (Imperial Yeast#L13)||Yeast||-|
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
|Name||Description||Step Temperature||Step Time|
|Mash In||Add 3.12 gal of water at 159.1 F||148.0 F||75.0 mins|
- Began brew day around 9am. Heated up the mash water (~3.25G) of to ~185F then transferred to the mash tun using the pump.
- Let sit for about 20 minutes before stirring in the grain.
- Added the grain then stirred until it reached ~149F then let sit for 1 hour.
- IN the last 5 minutes of the mash, I started vorlaufing. I ran for a total of about 10 mins while the sparge water heated up to 170F.
- Mashed out just under 2 gallons from the initial runnings.
- Switched the hoses and ran the sparge water into the mash tun. Gave it a quick stir then began mashing out.
- Collected just over 7.25G with the pre-boil gravity at ~1.035. It was slightly under, so decided to go with a 75min boil.
- Chilled to 67F, got 4.5G at 1.043 for the OG (target was 1.048)
- Put in the fermentation chamber at 67F and pitched the yeast with the fan turned on to bring down the temp.
- Took a gravity reading, finished at 1.006.
Started cold crashing over night to keg the next day. 2/28/23
- Chilled to ~52F overnight.
- Added dry hops to sanitized keg then racked the beer on top. Got about 4.3G.
- Purged with co2 3 times.
- Added 1 tsp of gelatin to 1/4 cup of cold water. Stirred and heated in 10s increments until the temp was about 145F and it was fully dissolved
- Added to keg then purged with co2 3 times.
- Set to 20PSI to burst carbonate for 24 hours, then will dial down to serving pressure, ~12psi.
Tags: German Pils