Name: Coffee Vanilla Oatmeal Stout (Coffee Paw)
Style: Oatmeal Stout (16B)
Type: All Grain
Boil Size: 7.51 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 30.6967661
Estimated IBU: 34.58 (Tinseth)
Estima.ed ABV: 5.4 %
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0%
Boil Time: 60 minutes
|7 lbs||Pale Malt, Maris Otter||Grain||58.3%|
|1 lbs||Munich Malt||Grain||8.3%|
|1 lbs||Oats, Flaked||Grain||8.3%|
|1 lbs||Pale Chocolate Malt||Grain||8.3%|
|1 lbs||Victory Malt||Grain||8.3%|
|8.0 oz||Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L||Grain||4.2%|
|8.0 oz||Midnight Wheat Malt||Grain||4.2%|
|0.75 oz||Nugget [13.0%] - Boil 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Fuggle [4.5%] - Boil 10.0 min||Hop||-|
|1 pkg||Darkness (Imperial Yeast#A10)||Yeast||-|
|1.00 Items||Vanilla Beans (Secondary 10.0 days)||Flavor||-|
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
|Name||Description||Step Temperature||Step Time|
|Mash In||Add 4.25 gal of water at 164.5 F||154.0 F||60.0 mins|
- Started brewing around 10am.
- Preheated water to about 179F then put in mashtun for 10 minutes.
- Mixed in grain and got around 153F. Let mash for 1 hour.
- Got 2.75G first runnings
- Total ~7.75G in the kettle.
- Pre-boil gravity was slightly low at 1.044
- Boiled for 70 minutes to bring up the OG a bit.
- Ended up with 6G in the fermenter at 1.054.
- Pitched yeast in fermenter around 3pm at 64F.
- Measured out 4 ounces of beans. Going to put an ounce in the beer towards end of fermentation for the dry-bean.
- The other 3 ounces will be used in the cold press.
- Used 1 ounce of Sight Glass Columbia Single Origin. It has tasting notes of honey, black currant and green grape. Used 3 ounces of Marigold Coffee South America peru La Palma. It has notes of milk chocolate, malt and baking spices.
- Took a sample and gravity was 1.010
- Added 1 split and scraped vanilla bean to the primary fermenter. Threw the scrapings and the bean itself in.
- In the AM threw 1 ounce of the blend of coffee beans directly into the primary fermenter.
- In the AM started the cold brew. Ground up 3 oz of beans (not fluid ounces, actual weight). Added to sanitized french press then added ~28oz of water. Mixed with a wooden spoon and covered with saran wrap then put in the fridge. Will be there until I keg, likely 36hrs.
- Kegged around 4pm.
- Pressed cold-brewed coffee and added to bottom of sanatized keg.
- Racked beer on top of it.
- Got a full 5G.
- Purged the keg 3x then hooked up to normal serving ~12psi which I will leave at for a week then check the carbonation.
Tags: Oatmeal Stout