This is my 2nd iteration of cloning Grains of Wrath’s Built for Speed IPA.
Name: Built for Me (v2.0)
Style: American IPA (21A)
Type: All Grain
Boil Size: 7.51 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9250458
Estimated IBU: 89.0 IBUs (Tinseth)
Estima.ed ABV: 6.4 %
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0%
Boil Time: 60 minutes
|9 lbs 8.0 oz||Pelton Pilsner-style Malt||Grain||73.1%|
|2 lbs||Lamonta : Pale American Barley Malt (Mecca Grade)||Grain||15.4%|
|1 lbs 8.0 oz||Wheat Malt (Gambrinus)||Grain||11.5%|
|0.50 oz||Nugget [13.0%] - Boil 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Mosaic [11.7%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|3.00 oz||Mosaic [11.7%] - Steep/Whirlpool. 20.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||Simcoe [13.0%] - Steep/Whirlpool. 20.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||Mosaic [11.7%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1.00 oz||Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1 pkg||Flagship (Imperial#A07)||Yeast||-|
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
|Name||Description||Step Temperature||Step Time|
|Mash In||Add 4.56 gal of water at 162.4 F||152.0 F||75.0 mins|
- Brewed at home.
- Added some boiling water (about 2 quarts) to cooler for a few minutes beforehand to try to pre-heat it since it was a cooler (40F) day, I drained it before added the actual sparge water.
- Heated up first batch of water to ~165F and let sit in cooler for 10 mins, added grains and stirred and only got 142F, instead of the target 152F. I made a mistake, the target was 165F and I should have added 10F over that to pre-heat. It should have been 175F.
- Heated up another 2 quarts of boiling water and added to the cooler. Mixed it up and put the lid back on and the temp was brought up to 149F, good enough. Resting for 1 hour.
- Ended up with 8g in the kettle at 1.043. The temp dropped about 7F over the hour during the mash so this was somewhat expected. Also the initial 149F may have been from 1 isolated area in the mash, going to boil for 90 minutes to bring up the gravity since I have an extra 1/2G I can boil off. May also help with the large amount of pilsner malt.
- Forgot to let the boil cool to 190F and pitched whirlpool hops almost immediately after turning off the heat and starting a whirlpool (based on previous brulosophy experiments this may not be super important, more about contact time).
- Whirlpooled for 20 mins
- O.G: 1.058 at 5.3G
- Pitched yeast around 65F and put in fermentation chamber around 230pm.
- Took a gravity readying, it’s done at 1.009. Going to warm it up a bit for 24 hours, then cold crash it for 24 hours before kegging.
- Chilled down to 54F.
- Racked on top of dry hops. Got about 4.75G.
- Purged keg with co2 3 times.
- Added 1 tsp of gelatin to 1/4 cup of cold water. Stirred and heated in 10s increments until the temp was about 145F.
- Added to keg then purged with co2 3 times.
- Did burst carbonation, setting it to ~30PSI around 6pm. Will let sit for 24 hours then dial it back down to ~12psi.
Tags: American IPA