Name: BRU-1 West Coast IPA
Style: American IPA (21A)
Type: All Grain
Boil Size: 7.51 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 5.2412519
Estimated IBU: 77.5 IBUs (Tinseth)
Estima.ed ABV: 7.3 %
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0%
Boil Time: 60 minutes
|8 lbs 4.0 oz||Pelton Pilsner-style Malt||Grain||55.9%|
|6 lbs 4.0 oz||Pale Malt, Maris Otter||Grain||42.4%|
|4.0 oz||Honey Malt||Grain||1.7%|
|1.00 oz||BRU-1 [14.0%] - Boil 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||BRU-1 [14.0%] - Boil 5.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||BRU-1 [14.0%] - Steep/Whirlpool. 20.0 min||Hop||-|
|2.00 oz||BRU-1 [14.0%] - Dry Hop 60.0 min||Hop||-|
|1 pkg||House (Imperial#A01)||Yeast||-|
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
|Name||Description||Step Temperature||Step Time|
|Mash In||Add 5.11 gal of water at 162.5 F||152.0 F||60.0 mins|
- First runnings 3.6g
1st batch 2g2nd batch 2g ` Put 7.75 g in the kettle
- I think the reason I am missing my numbers is that the thermometer I am using is off (or the thermomter on the kettle). The difference is about 10F where the kettle showed 190 and the thermomter showed 180F. I did verify that boil started at the expected temp on the kettle, and the thermometer was about 12F lower. Time to get a new one!
- Going to boil for 75 min since I have extra volume.
- pre-boil was 1.053
- Ended up with ~5.5G @ 1.067 in the fermenter. Pitched yeast around 3pm.
- Took gravity reading and was at 1.010.
- Chilled to 57F the night before.
- Still finished at 1.010
- Racked on top of dry hops. Got about 5G.
- Added 1 tsp of gelatin to 1/4 cup of cold water. Stirred and heated in 10s increments until the temp was about 145F.
- Added to keg then pured with co2 3 times.
- Did burst carbonation, setting it to ~30PSI around 2pm. Will let sit for 24 hours then dial it back down to ~12psi.
Tags: American IPA