Brew Day and Fermentation: NE Style IPA (Hazy Potion)

NE Style IPA Ingredients

NE Style IPA Ingredients

After doing some research on what exactly makes a NE style IPA, I decided to develop a recipe and run with it.  For the grain bill I wanted to shoot for 20% adjunct.  I ended up with 77% Pale Malt, 12% Flaked Oats, 8% White Wheat Malt and 3% Carapils/Dextrine to try to give it more body.

The brew day went pretty well without any complications.  I ended up adding some leftover hops from our dry hopped sour experiment (post coming soon) that weren’t in the original recipe.  The extra additions of 0.5 oz of Motueka and 0.5 oz of Mandirina Bavaria were added during the whirlpool.  I ended up letting the wort chill naturally to ~189F and then doing a 30 minute whirlpool before I started chilling.

The original gravity was 1.074 after the boil.  I ended up adding 1/4 gallon distilled water plus the 2 liter starter to achieve 5.25 gallons in the fermenter.  Because of that the actual original gravity was probably closer to 1.071-1.072.

This was my first time using London Ale III and even with the starter it didn’t finish as low as I wanted.  I think next time I’d step up the yeast starter again before pitching to ensure I hit my target terminal gravity.  I ended up adding the dry hops around day 4 in the primary.  The beer didn’t quite get to my target of 1.019 and ended up kegging at 1.022 after multiple days of no change.

This beer is now carbonated and kegged.  I have had the opportunity to sample it several times and have gathered feedback from others.  I’ll be posting tasting notes and what I would do differently in my next post.

Here’s my recipe for this batch:

Ingredients
Amount Name Percentage Notes
12 lbs 5 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 77.0%
1 lbs 14.7 oz Flaked Oats 12.0%
1 lbs 4.5 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4S SRM) 8.0%
7.7 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) 3.0%
1 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] – Boil 60.0 min
1 oz Citra [12.00 %] – Boil 4.0 min
1 oz Mosaic [12.00 %] – Boil 4.0 min
3 oz Citra [12.00 %] – Steep/Whirlpool 0 min
3 oz Mosaic [12.00 %] – Steep/Whirlpool 0 min
3 oz Mosaic [12.00 %] – Dry Hop 7 days Add 3 days into primary fermentation
3 oz Citra [12.00 %] – Dry Hop 7 days Add 3 days into primary fermentation
1 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124.21 ml] Make 2L Starter

Below are my raw notes from beersmith.

4/30/2016

– Brewed at Paul’s.
– Preboil gravity was 1.057
– Got just under 3 gallons from the first runnings, collected 7.25 gallons pre-boil.
– OG was 1.074, added 1/4 gallon distilled water plus 2 Liter starter to achieve 5.25 gallons in the fermenter, so actual OG is probably closer to 1.071-1.072
– Let it chill naturally after flame out until 189F, then added my whirlpool hops. Stirred then added hops and covered for 30 minutes before chilling.
– Ended up adding leftover hops from our solera dry hop experiment. 0.5 oz of Motueka and 0.5 oz of Mandirina Bavaria.

5/1/2016

– Added yeast starter to beer and hooked up blow off tube.

5/2/2016

– Saw first visible activity with the star san bubbling from the blow off tube.

5/7/2016

– Added 6 ounces of hops to the primary fermenter (3 Citra, 3 Mosaic). Used a sanatized spoon to try to get them all dipped and wet in the wort. Did not take a gravity reading, but airlock showed activity. Probably day 5 of primary.

5/10/2016

– Took a gravity reading in the evening, was 1.028.

5/15/2016

– Took a gravity rating @ 5pm, was ~ 1.022.

5/18/2016

– Kegged at ~ 1.022. Target was 1.019. Didn’t want it to go any longer with those 6 oz of whole leaf hops in there, especially because I was leaving for vacation and wouldn’t be able to do anything to it for another week. Ended up with ~4 gallons in the keg. Left about 1/2 gallon in the fermenter due to all the hops and clogging.